Monday, August 25, 2008

His and Hers Weekends Away

This past weekend Chris and I went on His and Hers Weekends away! Chris went on a business/fun trip to New Orleans with a group of his friends/co-workers. I seriously think it was more of a "guy vacation" than anything! They went to the National Mortgage Brokers Convention but spent most of the weekend having a good time and experiencing all that New Orleans has to offer! This was Chris' second trip to New Orleans in the past 3 years and I don't think he will be wanting to go back anytime soon! He spent the majority of his time babysitting his friends that were REALLY experiencing New Orleans, if you know what I mean!;-) Chris had a good time, but I could tell that he was really happy to get home to me and REST!

He did say that he could tell a big difference in how dirty New Orleans was since the last time that he visited, which was post Katrina. He felt like it was already headed down hill again as he was pleasantly surprised on his last trip, when everything was new and the city was working overtime to promote tourism. We prefer clean streets, as few homeless people as possible, and as few drunken idiots as we can away with seeing! New Orleans may not be a great get away spot for us! If we want Blues we can always cut our trip in half and drop into Memphis or if we want Cajun cuisine we can drive right down the road to Cajun Steamers... yummy Cajun food, in Trussville no less! I did joke with Chris and tell him this was his Baby Bachelor Party- his last "Man Trip" before Caroline gets here- so I hope he enjoyed it!;-)

Since I didn't want to be alone while Chris was gone and we had planned his trip so far in advance, I went to Florence for the weekend for some time with the Fam! I had a really nice, relaxing weekend. It was primarily consumed by getting some important items for Caroline out of the way. I drove home with a loaded down car! I have been feeling more of a need to get the basics done NOW, in case our little one is early- which I doubt will happen. But, hey, you never know and I love to be prepared... I'm the girl that makes 4 lists a day of the things I want to get done and in what time frame. It's not obsessive, but it is borderline;-) I'm fine with not having pictures on the wall yet or not having a "diapering station" set up, but I needed her to have a mattress and baby bedding!

So while in Florence I found some beautiful baby bedding that was just what I wanted, for the price that I wanted, at Ezra's Attic and we picked up her mattress at the Baby's Room. And this isn't just any mattress, this is the Baby Mattress 3000! It's a colgate mattress, which is what is recommended for babies, they say its firmness reduces the chance of SIDS. It is a baby mattress on one side and a toddler mattress(more plush) on the other. Mom also got this for us, which is no surprise since she has been such a GREAT help to us as we get ready for the baby. We really appreciate it more than you know, Mom!!! Our sweet one would have very little if it wasn't for my Mom and her excitement about being a Grandmother- we are really lucky! I know I go on and on about what all my Mom has done, but seriously, everytime she comes to visit it's like Christmas for Caroline;-) This greatly reduces my stress in getting everything together for my daughter... it's like she's my partner in crime- and I love it!!! It really has been tons of fun!

We spent all day Saturday running around Florence finding the perfect, little goodies for Caroline and visiting with people as we shopped that I haven't seen in YEARS! The joys of small town life... it doesn't matter where you go, you're bound to find someone you know!=) On Sunday we went to my Grandparents house to spend some time with them and have lunch. We had some yummy vegetables from their garden and I was in Heaven!=) I really think that Caroline likes Southern Cookin' just as much as I do because she always becomes more active after I eat it. I think she knows what the good stuff is! Sunday Dinner was wonderful Grandmother and Granddaddy! Thanks again for having us!

After visiting for a few hours I had to head back to Trussville so that I could unload my packed car before it got too dark. I spent the rest of the evening organizing Caroline's room and putting her bedding together... it really is precious! I cannot wait to share! As soon as we get the rest of her furniture in her room, I'll post pictures!

Up Next, Football Season!!! We are very excited about this... ROLL TIDE!!!

No comments: