Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Family, Fun, Furniture...

This past weekend my Mom and Brothers came to Trussville to help us do some work on Caroline's Room.(Dad is still out of town for work) When our furniture arrived a bit earlier than expected, I jumped into planning mode and was able to get Mother to drive my old jeep down from Florence with a trailer loaded down with furniture attached to it. Needless to say, it was a long trip for them! In spite of all of my planning there were a few kinks in getting her room together last weekend.
Before we nailed down that they were going to come down on Friday after work, I checked the weather to make sure that our nice furniture wouldn't be getting wet. Of course the forecast said "Sunny, with occasional clouds" for Friday, but it did say Showers and Thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday. I was satisfied with the cheery forecast for Friday and thought all would be well! As my younger brother and mother were loading up the furniture, Blake called and asked if I had checked the weather lately. Of course there were afternoon thunderstorms popping up all over north Alabama! Ugh... I pulled up the radar and Florence was surrounded by heavy rain! Oh the luck! On the way to pick up Trey they grabbed a tarp and after securing it, were ready to hit the road... disaster diverted!
Caroline's furniture arrived safe and dry 3 and 1/2 hours later. That had to be the longest trip that my brothers had ever taken to see their sister! After a brief inspection by Chris the guys exercised their muscles and stored all of the furniture in the garage for the night. We still had a GIGANTIC bed in her bedroom and a chest of drawers that we had to move out and then paint before we could get the furniture upstairs. We decided that could wait until morning!
Saturday morning Mom and I got up before the rest of the house and went to Home Depot to get "baby safe" Behr paint. We decided on a pale pink for her bedroom and a pale green that matches her recliner for her bathroom. Satisfied with our selections we were ready to get started!!! The boys took the GARGANTUAN bed down while we were gone and we finished moving some of the smaller out of the rooms to set up paint central.
Painting both rooms took the entire afternoon and by the time we finished this we were exhausted... especially me! I had a "schedule" that I wanted to keep to so that we could finish everything, but I threw that out the window when I realized how tired we all were. We spent the evening watching the Olympics and I cooked dinner for the family.
Sunday was reserved for moving the EXTREMELY heavy furniture upstairs. Fortunately the crib(broken down in the box), the recliner, dresser, and mirror were carried up the stairs with little strain. However, the armoire(now nicknamed "the beast") was FAR too heavy for us to get upstairs on Sunday. It is a beautiful piece of furniture, but seriously my husband was asking me why I didn't ask the furniture makers how much everything weighed before I bought it! haha! Poor guy! Even with Chris, Trey, Blake, Mom, and myself giving it our best we were afraid we would drop it and decided it was better left to the professionals, or at least friends with more experience moving. For now, the armoire has a home in our garage but hopefully we will be able to get it upstairs in the next week or so.
That armoire was so heavy that I really shouldn't have tried to help move it! After we tried together I had a few braxton hicks contractions and decided it was time for me to go take a break! They quickly went away after I propped my feet up and laid on my side, so I was good to go in about 30 minutes. So, on The York's way out of town we decided to go to P.F. Changs for a late lunch/dinner... YUM!!!
Caroline's room is now painted and most of the furniture is put together and in place. Such a relief!!! I will post pictures once we get her bedding and whatnot up. A HUGE thanks goes out to my Mom and Brothers for coming to town and working all weekend! Chris and I really appreciate it!=)

No comments: