Thursday, April 10, 2008

10 weeks Appointment

Yesterday Chris and I had our 10 weeks appointment to check on Baby Carter. Naturally, since I can't feel the baby dancing around yet, I was really looking forward to looking in on the little one and getting the reassurance that it was alive and thriving!

Everything checked out just fine so you all can breathe easily! I was 10w1d at my appointment and before the Dr. pulled out the Doppler, she warned me that we might not be able to find the heartbeat since 10 weeks is typically the earliest that they even try to find the heartbeat via Doppler. She quickly told me not to worry, that even if we couldn't find it she would send me over for an ultrasound to check Baby out.

Part of me was secretly hoping to get another ultrasound in, but I knew that if we weren't able to find the heartbeat I would probably panic until I saw it on the ultrasound screen! Fortunately, Dr. G was able to find the heartbeat fairly quickly with the Doppler... the most beautiful sound ever!

The appointment was at 2:00, so Chris and I had lunch together before we went to our appointment. Per the Dr., I am allowed to have 1 caffeinated drink a day. Some days I drink it, some days I don't. Yesterday was a day when I indulged. With lunch I had a sweet tea, my favorite. They didn't have decaf and I am getting pretty tired of Sprite all the time so I went for it!

Baby's heartbeat reflected the caffeine/sugar that I had recently consumed because it's heart was beating 190 beats per minute! That is really fast!! The typical heart rate for a baby at our gestation is 140-180 bpm. When Chris first heard it he said, "is it normal for it to be that fast?!", a bit concerned. My Dr. just laughed and said Baby was probably moving around a lot, "exercising", and just like all of us it's heart rate goes up when it does physical activity. This probably had something to do with the caffeine from lunch! ;-) Looks like we will have a busy baby on our hands, so I'm getting ready for all of the kicks and jabs that I will endure starting in the next few months!

We spent the rest of our appointment getting tips on how to better handle "the sickness" and then I had a bajillion vials of blood drawn... I thought they would never stop!! Don't worry, I sent my extremely squeamish husband to the reception area to wait for me, so he did just fine!;-)

No comments: